For more than twenty years, the Wisdom team has been hard at work researching, genotyping, and gathering input from pet parents and breeders to become the world’s leading pet DNA service. During that time, we’ve had a lot of breakthroughs and achievements. And we just hit another major milestone: 4+ million pets DNA tested in 50+ countries.
More data = better testing
When it comes to a genetic database, bigger really is better.
Because we have the world’s largest pet DNA reference database, we can test your pet’s genetic code against millions of possible breed combinations, giving you the most cat breeds detected and the most accurate dog breed detection. In fact, with recent updates made to our dog breed detection algorithm, we believe we’ve set a new standard in the genetic testing industry. And by trusting us with your pup’s DNA testing, you played a role in raising the bar.
But breed detection is just one of the benefits of genetic testing. Testing more than four million pets has allowed us to develop the most comprehensive DNA tests for dogs and cats, shedding light on their genetic health and physical traits. Our genetic panels include:
- 45+ health tests, 25+ trait tests for cats
- 265+ genetic health disorders and 50+ traits for dogs
Research that powers a better world for pets
Every pet we test helps us uncover insights pet parents, breeders, and veterinarians can use to provide tailored care. We have the ability to gather widespread insights from the whole of our database, enabling us to spot trends on common diseases in dogs and cats or identify the number of pets with genetic conditions.
Big numbers also lead to big discoveries. Our large scale database is used in research to hone in on causal variants that would have otherwise taken much longer to uncover. And our scientists have used our data to power some of the biggest pet genetic studies in the world, including:
- The largest genetic screening of dog DNA. We analyzed DNA data from more than 1 million dogs to deliver the most comprehensive findings on the distribution and frequency of known genetic disorders across the domestic dog population.
- The largest DNA-based study of domestic cats. Our team conducted analysis on more than 11,000 cat DNA samples to uncover insights on genetic disorders, blood type, and physical traits.
While our team of scientists are some of the best around, we know the greatest value comes from sharing resources with other brilliant minds in pet health and genetics. We’re proud to have our data included in an open-access genome database that enables researchers around the world to advance their studies and improve dog and cat health.
The Wisdom Panel pack’s most popular dog breeds
We don’t play favorites around here. But numbers don’t lie. Here are the most popular breeds found in our extensive database.
Top 5 dog breeds
Top 5 designer dogs
- Mini Goldendoodle
How common are your pet’s quirks?
The Wisdom Panel community has spoken! Here are a few of the firsthand insights from pet parents about their dog or cat’s behavior. See how your pet matches up to responses from our pet parent survey.
- 50% lie down in a "sploot" or frog-leg position
- 50% turn in circles before pooping
- 70% lick familiar people (a lot)
- 12% howl to music or singing
- 69% lick their empty bowl after eating
- 48% carry toys or objects in their mouth
- 44% play fetch
- 11% like to swim or take a bath
- 87% get the zoomies
- 62% like to sit in cardboard boxes, bags, or baskets
Dig deeper into your pet’s DNA
We’re grateful that so many have trusted us with their dog or cat’s DNA samples. We take seriously our responsibility to deliver meaningful insights on individual pets and to advance pet health for generations to come.