In case you didn’t know, National Cat DNA Day is just around the corner. So, in honor of the wonderful and intriguing diversity of modern kitties, we bring you: nine interesting cat facts.
- Turkish Vans have a unique coat texture that makes their fur water-resistant. And though they aren’t the only cats that can swim, they seem to be alone in genuinely enjoying it—earning them the nickname “swimming cats.”
- Torn between getting a dog or a cat? Some say the Highlander is the best of both worlds. This intelligent breed can easily learn to fetch, walk on a leash, and sit. And don’t be surprised if they meet you at the door with a toy in their mouth.
- Some cats may like climbing atop cabinets or scaling trees. But not Persians, as these sweet cats prefer the safety of being close to the ground.
- Bengals can learn to open cabinets and doors just by watching their humans. Patient pet parents can harness this intelligence and train their cats to follow house rules, learn tricks, or even walk with a harness and leash.
- One of the oldest cat breeds in North America, the Maine Coon rarely meows. Instead, these gentle giants get your attention with soft (and endearing) chirps and trills.
- Norwegian Forest Cats are no strangers to the open ocean. Vikings brought this breed along on travels to keep their ships free from rodents.
- As the only naturally spotted breed of domestic cat, the Egyptian Mau can jump an astonishing six feet high from a standstill and run up to 30 miles per hour (faster than most dogs).
- If you think you hear a baby crying in the other room, it might just be your Siamese trying to get your attention with one of their legendary vocal tricks. These cats are extremely talkative and capable of producing a variety of sounds.
- Though famous for their “hairlessness,” Sphynx cats actually aren’t bald. The breed has a fine layer of fuzz that gives the skin a suede-like feel. (This trait began as a naturally occurring mutation in Canada.)
Decode your cat’s curious characteristics.
Does your cat show any unique features or behaviors? Understand them better with the world’s most comprehensive cat DNA test. Wisdom Panel™ Complete for Cats unlocks vital insights about ancestry, traits, and health so you can tailor care to your pet’s personality.Get Complete for Cats